History

The Kurampala, Pandalam St.Thomas Orthodox Valiya Palli Church is Situated at Kurampala Village just one kilometer South of Pandalam Junction, not far away from M.C. Road in Pathanamthitta District of Kerala in Adoor Taluk.

Pandalam was a famous Kingdom in Central Travancore and was the headquarters of the King of Pandalam. Also it is famous for so many historical events connected with Sabarimala Ayyappan. It is also a pilgrim centre of Hindu devotees. Devotees from far and near used to visit the place of the Pandalam Raja,  every year on certain festival season.

The Pandalam Kurampala St. Thomas Orthodox Church celebrated its Centenary during 2006. The land for the new church is about one acre purchased in 1906 (Vrichikam 7, 1081 M.E) H.G. Pulikottil Joseph Mar Dionysias accorded sanction for the establishment of the new church as per Kalpana dated 21 Dhanu 1081. M.E. The foundation stone was laid by Malankara Sabha Bhasuran  Vattasseril Mar Dionysias, the Malankara Metropolitan. Now the church have about five acres of land . The first Holy Qurbana was celebrated by Puthenveetil Jacob Achan, Vicar of Thumpamon Church.

The first mother church was the Nilakal church founded by St. Thomas. At that time, (about first, second and third Centuries)   Nilakal was a thriving tourist region and a famous trade centre with the Tamil land. But by the third century the life at Nilakal became difficult because of the pest troubles and the attack of the Tamil robbers. People moved to different places and our forefathers moved to Kadampanad. They established a church at Kadampanad during AD 325 this church was the second mother church. The third mother church was the Thumpamon St.Mary’s church   which    was   established during AD 900.  105 Families belonging to the Thumpamon church residing in Kadakkadu, Thonnalloor, Kurampala and Pongaladi founded the Eriche poika Church as the church is known; then more people

joined the church. For more convenience 40 families left this church and formed an edavaka and constructed a church at Pongaladi (St. George).  Now the church have more than 400 families.  The first church was made up with temporary materials. The present building of the church was constructed during 1951 to 1971. The Diocesan Metropolitan Puthenkavu Mar Philexinos  blessed with good advice in the construction of the church. The building is 101 feet long and 33 feet breadth. A verandha on three sides was constructed as a project under the centenary programme. The church has three altars. The central altar was dedicated to St. Thomas, the altar on the northern side is dedicated to St. Mary and the southern altar is dedicated to St. George.

The church bought 7 cents of land at Pandalam Junction just on the opposite side of the NSS College. A five storied Cross mansion was constructed during 1976 to 1979. The Holy Relics of the Holy Saint Parumala Thirumeni is kept here. A Chapel was also constructed and weekly Holy Qurbana is arranged here. This Chapel is very beneficial to MGOCSM members. The church has other five Cross mansions at different parts of the Edavaka.

The Church had a parallel college by name St. Thomas Arts College during 1978 to 1983 giving facility for study for Pre-degree, B.A, B.Com, M.A and M.com.

When it was found difficult to continue the College classes, the Edavaka planned to establish a School. At present the Church is running a High School by name St. Thomas English Medium High School approved by Government.

The Church purchased half acres of land near the Church and constructed a Parish hall with all facilities for different activities. The Church purchased four buses for the use of the school. The Church is progressing in all levels.

The Edavaka Priests were famous in various fields who are no more. Still their prayers are with us (1) Sankarathil Mathews Corepiscopa (2) Pulithitta Abraham Achen (3) Alummoottil A.M Varghese Achen, an author and traveler. Six Edavaka priest are serving the church at different Places. Presently following six Edavaka Priests are serving at various churches: 1) Rev:Fr. A. Cheriyan (New York) (2) Very Rev: Yoohanon (Superior Ranni Holytrinity) (3) Rev: Fr. Gheevarghese John. (4) Rev: Fr. Wilson Sankarathil (5) Rev: Fr. Giju Samuel. (6) Rev: Fr. Thomaskutty Koshy.

Sankarathil Mathews Corepiscopa
Pulithitta Abraham Achen
H.H. Baselius Marthoma Paulose II Catholicos of the East in Malankara
H.G. Thomas Mar Athanasios Metropolitan Bishop of Chengannur Diocese
Mathews Mar Thimothios Assistant Bishop of Chengannur Diocese
Computerised office with